Your Child’s Baptism
Your child’s Baptism is a very important time in his/her life.
At Baptism, the first Sacrament of Initiation, your child will be officially welcomed into the Catholic faith and our Church community.
The parents of a child being baptised are called to prepare for the baptism by:
* Renewing their commitment to Christ,
* Resolving to share their faith with their child,
* And showing this by living the faith.
Godparents assist the parents in bringing up the child in the faith, and also represent the wider Church community. So godparents should:
* Be mature enough to accept this responsibility;
* Be fully initiated Christians
* Be members of the Catholic Church (though a believing Christian from another church may be a godparent along with a Catholic).
The Sacrament of Baptism at Mary Immaculate has three core components:
* The Baptism Preparation Session
* The Presentation Mass and
* The Baptism Ceremony.
The Baptism Preparation Session
The session will normally run on the first Thursday of the month and runs for approximately 30-60 mins.
During this session, you will meet up with the other families who will be celebrating their child’s Baptism at the same time as your child. You will also have an opportunity to explore the beautiful rituals and rich symbolism that make up the Sacrament of Baptism. Your facilitator will walk you through the actual Baptism ceremony. You will be given the chance to ask any questions that you may have, during this session. This is purely for PARENTS ONLY so please seek a babysitter if possible.
The Presentation Mass
As Baptism is the welcoming of your child into the Catholic faith, we at Waverley Parish believe that there is no better way to welcome your child into our Parish family than to invite you to join us for mass at either 8:30am or 10:00am on the Sunday morning, on a weekend before your child’s Baptism. During the mass, the Parish Priest will invite you to come to the front of the church and will present your child to the congregation.
The Baptism Ceremony
The ceremony takes place at 11:30am on the third or fourth Sunday of each month in the church.
The ceremony itself is about 30 mins, depending on the number of children being Baptised at the time. Your family and friends will gather around your child and the godparents and be invited to participate in the ceremony by joining in with the responses in the Baptism booklet (provided on the day).
Below are just a few points about the day that should help answer some of your questions:
* Families should aim to be there by 11:15am, ready to start at 11:30am
* Your child cannot be baptised unless all components of the program are completed.
* There are no booking fees, but a donation to support the ministry of the church on the day is customary. This can be handed to the priest on the day.
* It is customary for your child to wear something white on the day (a white shirt is ok for boys).
* Parents need to purchase one candle per child to light during the ceremony. Special baptism candles are available for purchase at the Devotional Shop located inside the church after morning mass or from the Parish Centre during business hours. Otherwise any pillar candle you can hold during the ceremony is appropriate.
To book in your child for baptism, please complete this Baptism Form 2018 along with your child’s birth certificate and parents/godparents baptismal certificate.
To confirm a date is available, contact our Parish Secretary on (02) 9369 9399 or email email@example.com.
If you wish to email Fr Bernie directly with any other questions regarding baptism, please do so at firstname.lastname@example.org. Normally two months notice is required.
PLEASE NOTE FOR THE MONTH OF MAY, Fr BERNIE IS AWAY SO THERE WILL BE NOT BAPTISMS HELD IN MAY. THE NEXT AVAILABLE DATE IS JULY 22nd or 29th.