Your Child’s Baptism
Your child’s Baptism is a very important time in his/her life. At Baptism, the first Sacrament of Initiation, your child will be officially welcomed into the Catholic faith and our Church community.
Permission from local Parish
People normally receive Baptism in the Parish where they live. However, requests may be made for baptism at Mary Immaculate Church, Waverley. Baptism of those who do not live within the Waverley Parish requires permission of the Parish Priest of their place of residence.
Baptism of Infants
Infants are baptised at the request of their parents or the person who lawfully takes their place who wish to share their Catholic faith with their children.
The parents of a child being baptised are called to prepare for the baptism by:
* Renewing their commitment to Christ,
* Resolving to share their faith with their child,
* And showing this by living the faith.
* NB: Current church teaching requires that ONE parent at least be Catholic.
The Role of Godparents
There must be at least one Catholic Godparent to assist the parents with the Catholic upbringing of the baptised child:
* Be mature enough to accept this responsibility (must be 16 years or over);
* Be a member of the Catholic Church (though a believing Christian from another church may be a godparent along with a Catholic).
* Have received Baptism, Confirmation and the Eucharist. Because the Godparents have a duty to be true examples of Catholic life for the growing child therefore they should be actively practicing the Catholic faith.
Our Baptism Programme
The Sacrament of Baptism at Mary Immaculate has three core components:
* The Baptism Preparation Session,
* The Presentation Mass (depending on COVID-19 Restrictions); and
* The Baptism Ceremony.
The Baptism Preparation Session (50 person limit per session)
The session will normally run on the first Thursday of the month and runs for approximately 30-60 mins. During this session, you will meet up with the other families who will be celebrating their child’s Baptism at the same time as your child. You will also have an opportunity to explore the beautiful rituals and rich symbolism that make up the Sacrament of Baptism. Your facilitator will walk you through the actual Baptism ceremony. You will be given the chance to ask any questions that you may have, during this session.
This is purely for PARENTS ONLY so please seek a babysitter if possible.
The Presentation Mass (depending on COVID-19 Restrictions)
As Baptism is the welcoming of your child into the Catholic faith, we at Waverley Parish believe that there is no better way to welcome your child into our Parish family than to invite you to join us for mass at either 8:30am or 10:00am on the Sunday morning, on a weekend before your child’s Baptism. During the mass, the Parish Priest will invite you to come to the front of the church and will present your child to the congregation.
The Baptism Ceremony (50 person limit per Ceremony)
The ceremony takes place at 11:30am or 12:30pm on the third or fourth Sunday (or last two weekends) of each month in the church. Your family and friends will gather around your child and the godparents and be invited to participate in the ceremony by joining in with the responses in the Baptism booklet (provided on the day). The ceremony itself is about 30-40 minutes, depending on the number of children being Baptised at the time.
To book in your child for baptism, please complete the booking form below with permission from your local Parish (if required), along with your child’s birth certificate and parents/godparents baptismal certificate. A date is not confirmed unless checked with our Parish Secretary on (02) 9369 9399 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Some available dates are below.
If you wish to email Fr Bernie directly with any other questions regarding baptism, please do so at email@example.com.
There is no set fee for the celebration of baptism, however it is customary to make a donation to the priest who baptises the child.
Next available dates:
With the new regulations in place for COVID-19, we are only allowed 50 people at any one time in the Church. This would mean 1 family per booking. Therefore we have allocated two time slots, 11:30am and 12:30pm on the 3rd and 4th Sunday of each month.
All guest would be required to sign in on arrival for contact tracing.
- Sunday, 21 June @ 12:30pm
- Sunday, 28 June @ 11:30am
- Sunday, 26 July @ 12:30pm
Download here – Baptism Form
What you need to remember
Below are just a few points about the day that should help answer some of your questions:
* Families should aim to be there by 11:15am, ready to start at 11:30am
* There are no booking fees, but a donation to support the ministry of the church is customary. Please hand this to the priest on the day.
* Your child cannot be baptised unless all components of the Programme are completed and permission is provided by your local Parish.
* It is customary for your child to wear something white on the day (a white shirt is ok for boys).
* Parents need to purchase one candle per child to light during the ceremony. Special baptism candles are available for purchase at the Devotional Shop located inside the church after morning mass or from the Parish Centre during business hours. Otherwise any pillar candle you can hold during the ceremony is appropriate.